Welcome! If you are a:
- Sheep and/or goat farmer
- Extension educator
- Consumer of sheep & goat products
- Prospective farmer
Then you are in the right place!
- Producer Directory - for farmers to promote their farms and products (dairy, fiber, meat and animals)
- Marketing Directory - for farmers and educators to network with meat processors and livestock buyers
- Classified Ads - for advertising market animals for sale or market orders that buyers need to fill. Ads for breeding stock and equipment will be available later
- Calendar - dates and marketing information for holidays where lamb or goat meat is often part of the traditional feast
- REGISTRATION: To add a producer entry or classified ad, you must first register. To register, click on the Menu tab at the top. You do not need to register to browse the directories and educational resources.
Kathleen Harris (shown shearing sheep at her family farm), is the Coordinator for the Northeast Livestock Processing Service Company LLC. This member owned company of 132 farmers based in the Hudson Mohawk region of NY was the dream child of the regional Resource Cons. & Dev. Council and serves its members by facilitating processing and assisting with marketing.
Having lambs year round or across several seasons can make your flock more attractive to volume buyers. To learn more about accelerated lambing systems go to the Cornell Sheep Website and under management choose reproduction. This web site is full of info for small and large sheep flocks.
Most breeds of sheep and goats are seasonal breeders. Thus lambs and kids may demand a premium price in seasons of the year when they are rare. To find out more about breeding goats out of season check out the herd management fact sheet on the topic at the Cornell Goat Extension Website. Click here to find out how to plan breedings to target specific holidays.
Thanks to Heritage Foods USA and their "No Goats Left Behind" Program, October is Goat Meat Month in NYC. More than 50 restaurants vie with each other to produce outstanding goat meat cuisine in support of NE goat dairies and farms. In addition, our Marketing Directory lists many NYC retailers and live animal markets that supply consumers with goat meat year round.
The Humane Halal Slaughter POSTER outlines the techniques for humane (Halal) on-farm slaughter and is available as a free download. Un-laminated 16" x 20" color copies can also be purchased for $10 by contacting tatiana Stanton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cornell Small Ruminant Marketing Listserv – join by sending email to srmarketing-Lemail@example.com with a subject of "JOIN".
This listserv aims to assist in the marketing of sheep and goats and the discussion of marketing topics and events.
Current regional prices as reported by USDA for the New Holland Sales Stables. Historical prices are also available (in item 1 [find results], enter LN_LS322). The information in these USDA reports can be used as the basis for local pricing. An example of an actual sale at New Holland, including all costs, can be found here.